September 24, 2009

Characterization

Star Wars: Rogue Planet Characterization
The protagonist I am characterizing from Star Wars: Rogue Planet is Anakin Skywalker because he is a very troubled boy and while reading this book I found many changes in Anakin’s personality. The author of this book is Greg Bear and I’m going to list three personality changes I found in this book. Not all of them are about Anakin.
While facing an avalanche of spikeballs, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin’s master, is rooted to the spot while Anakin takes command and says “These spikeballs aren’t going to hurt us! Whatever you do, Obi-Wan, don’t feel fear!” This shows a personality change because Anakin knows all too well that if he takes command of any situation bad things can happen.
While riding on an air gondola Obi- Wan sensed Anakin’s energy levels were too high and they were way out of his comfort zone. I was bewildered when I read this because I, like many other Star Wars fans thought that Obi-Wan was an adaptable Jedi who could adapt to any situation and in other books he does show this trait, but I had never heard of an “Obi-Wan comfort level” before.
While being chased by a bloodthirsty assassin in a trash tunnel, Anakin clears his thoughts and focuses them on defeating the assassin. This was also startling to me since Anakin’s thoughts are never clear and he relies mainly on Obi-Wan and the Force to guide him on a mission. To me the fact that Anakin got his thoughts under control is incredible considering that there is furious emotional conflict raging inside him.
I enjoy any Star Wars book but Rogue Planet was special and it’s a must read for any Star Wars fan. I find that Anakin’s personality has matured compared to the previous books in the series.

No comments: