January 18, 2010


Although it has been more than a week since a devastating earthquake struck Haiti, the nightmare is just beginning. Aid has not been able to reach the front lines of the struggle to survive and with limited supplies, the people are growing desperate. Some have resorted to looting shops and supply piles, taking whatever they can in the struggle to survive. As shown in the picture, even boys are taking part in the looting. But I wonder why they are hurting more people. Haven't enough people been hurt already? In a time such as this, I think people should forge friendships and trust among their brethren, not fight each other. But the question  still remains.Why hasn't aid reached Haiti? Even though US jets and helicopters have taken off from carriers transporting aid, inly a few people have received assistance. This is just one example of how disorganized some governments can be. The people are suffering because of their mistakes.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good points here, Madhav. I agree especially with the part about forging real unity to help one another rather than the selfish grabbing. Of course it is fine for me to say that. I have a full stomach. I wonder if I'd be different if I was there.

mh